Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Booties and Hat...I'm flying through this now!

For both the booties and the hat I have continued to use the King Cole Super Wash Anti-Tickle as it comes in so many thicknesses and is perfect for babies so I can keep my layette all looking the same!!

The booties were so fast I couldn't believe it!! About 2 hours per bootie tops!
I followed this pattern-Bernat Stay-On Knit Booties, which on first glance looked kind of complicated but really wasn't! The only bit I was a bit baffled by was the "turn" instruction as I have never come across this before but I followed my instincts and turned my needles around half way down the row and that must have been the right thing to do because they have turned out fab! The only other bit of advice I would give is that when I was working the top section I cut the yarn after an inch and then continued with the same yarn for the next inch and a half to remind myself where to stop stitching on the inside of the bootie and start sewing on the other side so that the stitches don't show when its turned over (see picture below)

For the bows on the front, I used some of the left over chunky yarn from the blanket and did 2 20st chains with the same crochet needle I used for the blanket...waste not want not! I'm going to add pom poms to the bottom of the bows...hence the long tails! We have just found out they are having a little girl so I need to start getting on with them now!

I only used around half the ball of yarn on the booties so I used the remainder of it on this hat:

The pattern I started from was this pattern - Cheery Scrap Hat and followed the newborn measurement, but I made an executive decision to change the way that the ties were done as I was concerned about the length of them and therefore the safety of the baby. I instead used the last of the chunky yarn and crocheted 2 10st chains and put them onto separate double point needles. I then cast on one stitch, knit the crochet stitch and then cast on another stitch so that I had could follow the pattern from the stage where she picks up 3 stitches from her ties (I hope that makes'll probably understand more once you've read the pattern). I also thought it would help the layette look more like a set with everything having crochet ties and pom poms on.
I then worked the hat up until the point where she starts her fair isle...I loved the boys pattern but I wasn't so keen on the girls pattern so I designed my own!

I then just continued with the pattern from there, making sure I remembered to knit 9 rows of plain knit after I had finished my pattern as the original pattern was 26 rows high and mine is only 17 rows. 

This pattern was more difficult than the previous two and took me around a day to knit...again the long tails are for pom poms haha. Also, this garment won't be able to be washed...major error on my part for choosing a contrast yarn that can't be machine washed (I used a Wendy Allegra incase you were wondering!) I am using this yarn for the pom poms still as I don't think it will matter so much if they felt or shrink and I can't see the baby fitting in the hat long enough for it to ever need washing so I'm not going to worry too much...

I have started the cardigan...but it is taking FOREVER as it is knitted on 3 1/2 mm needles! I'm using a 1930's vogue knitting pattern but I've made a fair few changes to try and modernise it and make it sit well with the other items so it could be a while until the next write up.

Ciao for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment